Rude In Public!

Go ahead. Type it out.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Rude Children.


You know what they say: the apple don't fall far from the tree.

So there I was at Saks, in line to buy my stupid lip gloss. This woman plunks her petulant, snot-nosed child down in the chair next to where I am standing, and the child promptly begins kicking my ass. Literally. And repeatedly. (note to anyone following along on these ridiculous threads-- it is debatable as to whether or not this is preferable to having said ass grabbed. Having a leopard-print-clad toddler obsessively kick her tiny, hammer-like (leopard-print SHOES, too) foot into my behind while I stand there helpless is also not so fun.) (and yes, it is quite acceptable grammatically to place parens within parens).

Anyway!! I moved slightly away from the offending foot, but smiled at the little miscreant and even complimented her outfit. She grinned wickedly...and inched closer to my posterior. Immediately began kicking again. Again I moved away, this time sans compliment. Yet a third time arose, and this time I just moved as far away as I could without losing my place in line (queuing up as if for chickens in Russia). This time the mother spun around, eyes slitted in hostility and snapped, "oh, I'M sorry. Is she BOTHERING you?" So I smiled nicely and said rather blandly, "nope! not bothering me... just kicking at my butt, so I thought I'd move."

- Here's where i SUPPOSED the offending parent would apologize, explain to the child why this isn't acceptable behavior, and we'd all be done with it. Instead, she sneers at me and my bare left hand, "you OBVIOUSLY don't have children". "That's right! I don't!" I say cheerfully, and still think the exchange will be over. BUT NO!
She actually moves the child to the other side of me as if i'm contagious, then says to the woman on the other side, "YOU don't mind, do you? SHE" (pointing at me)"has a PROBlem with CHILdren." They both turn and scowl.
-I say, "Excuse me: I don't have a PROBlem with CHILdren. I LOVE children. What I had a PROBlem with was my butt being kicked by your child. That's really all." (and also you not doing a damn thing about it, you stupid slimy whore, but that's another story.) She screams-- literally screams!!- at me "SHE'S FOUR!!!!" then explains to the woman next to her that this is her ONLY chance to go shopping, and people like ME have to go and RUIN it. Excuse me?!?! You don't take every opportunity to teach your child manners, and that's MY problem? I don't think so.

I am grateful for every disciplinary lesson I ever got while still a child. My parents did not let me run rampant all over the place because I could drool. (they also, quite thankfully, abstained from leopard-print tuff-skins.) And for the record: I DO like children. How rude is it for this person to make assumptions about me based on the fact that her child was wrong, and she was too careless to correct it? This bothers me deeply, having a number of friends who have miscarried recently. For all this woman knows, I just had a miscarriage. I mean, you just don't go saying things like this to people, let alone completely failing to teach your child how to behave in polite society.

I realize I don't have children, and therefore am probably only qualified to comment in a limited manner. But if I WERE a mother, I would not let my child make an ass of herself, since eventually I have to launch that child out into the world, and no one out there's gonna be as nice as I am, even if I'm strict... and further, you just shouldn't lash out at other people and say mean things. If I had the urge to hit back, I could have said something like, "Actually i DO have children, but I sure don't have that belly pooch you got out of it.." but violence begets violence. Why even bother.
I'm just venting.
That's really all.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be assholes.

This rotten apple has no chance to escape the family tree. Modeling basic consideration for others is as much a mother's job as loving her child. Even worse than the fake leopard togs is the fact that this slovenly cow really doesn't care enough to teach her manners. She is building a monster, kick by kick, who will never be able to get along in the world.

And to think that Saks 86'ed Winona Ryder, who is probably a paragon of decorum.

5:01 PM, April 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a perfect time to drop the F bomb in Saks.

5:54 PM, April 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf?

1:28 PM, April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have said, very sweetly, "you know, studies have shown that kids whose parents don't control them have a far higher chance of becoming crack whores."

6:44 PM, April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem is that this type of thing is running rampid in our society today. It seems as if when parents were told that they could no longer spank their children, they decided to become apathetic towards them instead. Not saying that spanking is a good means to an end, but to pretend that the child is only existing while on it's good behavior realm is also quite absurd. I have seen so many parents merely ignore their children as they run amuck through stores and various other public places. Just the other day one of my employees was kicked in the chin as a result of asking the child her name. And the mother, merely a few feet away was confronted by her. Her response in a syrup sweet voice was, "Mackenzie you big meany!" Kudozs lady for your superior show of discipline towards your child. This generation is reering the next great fortune for the psychiatrists of the world. The completely disfunctional adult. If you have no boundries as a child, how can you have them as an adult. It is sickening the number of kids that are allowed to run about unchecked in today's society.
As far as the mother is concerned, I have observed that they often misplace their own shortcomings onto other people. Just take solice in the fact that this little girl will be a teenager someday and the mother will find out what a monster that she has created. And there won't be a damn thing that she can do about it.

10:18 PM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger Ruby Blathergab said...

GREAT VENT!

I used to work in education. I saw incredible things. People are fucking animals no matter what kin of car they drive or how much they paid for their friggin tummy-tucks.

It seems the majority of parents don't have the long view that you do.

The whole idea of having a child is to share unconditional love with that child. To raise it to be as whole and healthy as possible so that you are sending him or her into the world as adults: complete with values and morals, manners and a healthy conscience among other important things.

My guess is that only about 25% or less of the parents in the west have this long view of raising children and even less practice it on a daily basis.

I've known some evil little imps in my time. What's always, without question behind that evil litte imp is self-absorbed chuckle-heads for parents.

You may not have children, but you know what you speak of my dear!

Don't let the Mommies with attitudes get you down. She'll get hers. That kid will be a grinding undending pain in her life forever.

Here's a bit of verse to cheer you:

Lemons are yellow
and Donkeys have sass
You shoulda kicked that
Mom's skanky ass!

Yo MAMA! Pamela

3:08 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

wow seriously that woman should be banned from kids, i have three and let me tell you it wouldnt even occure to MY kids to even do that , much less be caught by an adult and do it again, alos my middle child is four, a four year old KNOWS better, she did it becuase she knew shoe could

7:48 PM, May 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a mother (although I am sure I will never win (or even be nominated) for a mother of the year award) and agree with you that your situation was truly f-ed up. If it were me and my kid, I would have apologized to you and told my kid to quit it.

My son probably wouldn't stop though(not for my lack of trying to teach him manners, but because he is stubborn as hell). Then, the store would have witnessed a frazzled mother arguing with her two-year-old. Finally, like the countless times before, I would leave the store with my kid trying to spare the general public his bratness, empty handed, and with tears in my eyes.

Wanna know why? First of all, those damn kids don't come with remote controls. But, more importantly because society is so screwed up that I can spank my kid in public without fear of being jailed.

2:09 PM, December 03, 2006  
Blogger Robert Smith said...

Unbelievable. Every time someone wants to be an asshole and get away with it, they say "you obviously don't have kids".

That is, without question, the stupidest non-argument that one could put forth.

I actually WAS a kid. I had parents. That means I know how kids are supposed to act, you fucking moron!

8:37 PM, April 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girlfriend has two kids who constantly interrupt her while she's on the phone. Tonite I asked her why she allows them to do that and she said "it's because I'm a mom." ??

As gently as i could I asked her does she realize she's doing the kids no favors by not teaching them to be respectful, and that I don't like to see her kids being rude to her after she's been so good to them (translated: spoiled sh1tless).

She says she knows I don't like it, but won't stop the kids from doing it.

In the past when this has happened I offer to get off the phone and let her go deal with her kids.

It's gotten so I don't like to talk to her with her kids in the room, as she lets them interrupt and also, says off-topic or non-relevant things to me so they can hear her "being big". When she does that, I make some excuse to get off the phone.

I don't want to lose her as a friend and I think she needs someone to talk to, but it's starting to give me a headache every time I talk to her.

thanks for listening, I'm just venting.

1:02 AM, April 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to annonymous who said this 'If it were me and my kid, I would have apologized to you and told my kid to quit it.'-- Really? "quit it" is all you are going to say to your kid. How about a good smack on his ass? Or at least yell at him in a loud, stern voice, geesh!

12:55 PM, April 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would say sorry as the parent for not catching it earlier "I am so sorry". Then I would have the child also say she is sorry and if there were toys in the basket going to the child she sure wouldn't be getting them. Its wrong that so much happened and the mother was clueless speaks volumes about the mom.

8:34 PM, August 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! I love your post and agree with you completely. I'm not a parent but the oldest of four. I helped raise my youngest and now I share guardianship of the three with my mom [dad passed away].

I can't WAIT to have wonderful kids of my own. So much to teach them and inspire them with so much.

My siblings are so rude and obnoxious. They talk over adults, walk away from an authoritative conversation, and don't keep up with family responsibilities. I can't help but feel very frustrated because my mom is running the house alone. I don't want to let them grow up to be assholes because someone is going to be ripping them a new butthole every now and then - and I'd feel bad.

However, I want them to learn that their stupid lil attitude problems are bs and no one is going to put up with that sh-t.

Thanks for letting me vent - I could just leave my family and move out. I'm a senior in college. I can get my own place and live life every 21 y/o girl lives. I CHOOSE to stay at home because these f-ing brats need to learn. We have the same parents.

Mom was very harsh on me and very strict. Compare me to my youngest and you would never guess we were from the same family :/

Thanks for listening again and everyone's comments, and your post!

8:43 PM, September 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home